DIY birfday cake!
So I really love to bake stuff, but I have not posted very many recipes of sweet things. I made this birthday cake for my friends to share with me, and everyone liked it a lot. I also made caramel sauce to go on top!
The cake is one that I have been making often recently: a simple French yogurt gateau. It is so simple, reasonably healthy, and versatile. I do not even use oil or butter in the cake (except to grease the pan) because when you add enough yogurt and fruit the cake is plenty moist.
You can add the strusel if you want, or keep it super simple without. Serve with ice cream though!!
French Yogurt Cake with fresh Apples
adapted from FoodBeam
2 containers of vanilla yogurt (i really like wallaby)
1 1/2 cups flour
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1-2 tsp cinnamon
pinch of good salt
up to 3/4 C brown sugar (I usually use a bit less)
juice from one lemon
zest from the lemon also
1 tsp vanilla
1 tbsp honey
4-5 gala apples roughly chopped
3/4 C rolled oats
3/4 C flour
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 cup butter (or less if you want)
just crumble all this together–i usually just use my hands and smash it all up.
1. Grease a ceramic cassoulet pan with butter and sprinkle with sugar
2. Preheat oven to 350
3. Combine dry ingredients in one bowl
4. Add in yogurt, eggs, vanilla, lemon juice/zest and sugar
5. Mix in the chopped apples
6. Bake in the oven and while it’s in prepare the strusel. After about 20-25 minutes add on the strusel topping and bake for another 15 minutes or so. If you want to make the topping really crispy you could broil it at the end.