The profiterole project had been in the works for a few days. Several dinners came and went without dessert, as by the time anyone remembered we still had to make them, enough wine had been consumed for them to seem unnecessary and laborious. David was leaving for India that night, and I wanted to make them for him before his trip. Pizza followed by profiteroles is a fantastic combination, by the way.
On Sunday the cream was still in the refrigerator, the Vitamix was sitting on the counter ready for the dough. We had eggs. We had butter. We also had motivation. This was my first time making a French dessert, and it turned out to be so easy and fun! It was a great beginner’s recipe. I used Ina Garten’s recipe. I didn’t make the chocolate sauce, but I did make whipped cream to put on top of each one.
- 1 cup milk
- 1 stick unsalted butter
- pinch of salt
- 1 cup flour
- 4 extra large eggs
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- use the rest of the cream to make whipped cream
- vanilla ice cream
1. Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.
2. Heat milk, butter, and salt over medium heat until scalded. After the butter is melted, add in the flour and mix to form a dough. Cook the dough, stirring the whole time, over low heat for 2 minutes.
3. Put the dough into a food processor (I used a Vitamix). Add in the eggs, and pulse until they are fully incorporated and have thickened the dough.
4. Spoon the dough into a pastry bag – I actually just used a ziploc bag and trimmed a small hole in the corner to force the dough out of, for lack of anything else. Pipe 18 1 1/2 inch puffs onto parchment paper lined baking sheets. Make sure they have enough room (about 1 inch apart). Use your fingers to round off the tops of the puffs, then bake them for 20 minutes. Turn the oven off and let them bake for another 10 minutes, and cut a slit in the top of each one to release the steam. You’ll know they are done when you tap them and they sound hollow .
5. To serve, cut each one in half, spoon a dollop of ice cream on each bottom half, place the top on it, and then add a dollop of whipped cream. Drizzle with chocolate sauce if you are so inclined. Serve and consume immediately!