Last week I had the pleasure of making an item for the prepared salad bar at work. The constraints I was operating under were: make it fast, cheap, delicious, and simple. And with what we have already. After about 10 minutes in the walk in, it occurred to me I should probably just make panzanella.
On The Fly Panzanella
serves a lot – potluck, party worthy
- 4-6 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 2-3 tbsp mustard that you like
- pinch of sugar
- pinch of salt
- pepper to taste
- dried herbs you like (I used oregano and parsley I think) to taste
- 4 -5 ciabatta sandwich rolls, diced and toasted in the oven (used 500 degree pizza oven, so crank it!)
- 1/2 red onion, cut into half moons, then rough chopped
- 1/2 red bell pepper, cut into strips & rough chopped also
- 3 tbsp preminced lazy garlic in a jar
- several generous handfulls of spinach
- grated parmesan to taste
- add in feta if you like, or fresh mozzarella balls
1. Mix all the Nitty in the bottom of a large bowl
2. Toss the Gritty with the Nitty, and you’ve got your salad.
Literally that easy.